Over the past few years, I've acquired a vast selection of designer handbags. I wanted to find timeless & classic styles that would hold up over over the years, especially with all the wear they would go through. One of my most used designer handbag purchases is the Goyard St Louis GM tote. I use it mostly for work & travel and have been so pleased with how the the Goyard St Louis GM tote has held up over the years. Today I'll be sharing my honest review of the Goyard St Louis GM tote, as well as answering some of your most asked questions.
First, a little about the Goyard brand. Prior to the House of Goyard, was the House of Martin and Morel, founded in 1792. Specializing in box-making, trunks, and packing, the house was ahead of its time, focusing more on packing garments and delicate items. In 1845 the House of Martin and Morel hired 17-year old apprentice François Goyard who would work for 32 years before passing down to his son Edmond Goyard in 1885. Edmond turned the now iconic store on rue Saint-Honoré into a shopping destination for the elite. By opening state of the art factories, he had complete control of the manufacturing process ensuring the highest level of excellence in workmanship. The House of Goyard was bought in 1998 by Signoles, who shared the same passion for high quality production and craftsmanship. Within 10 years the Goyard brand was re-established with timeless elegance, craftsmanship and exclusivity.
Goyardine St Louis GM Tote Fabric, Size, & Price
I bought my tote at the original Goyard boutique on rue Saint-Honoré in Paris during the fall of 2017. As there are no details online regarding pricing, I was really unsure of the exact price prior to visiting the boutique. I purchased my Goyard St Louis GM tote for $1,100 USD (based on the conversion rate at the time). Because this was years ago, I am sure the prices have increased, and it makes it a little more complicated since I bought it abroad and there is obviously a conversion rate to factor in. If you want to purchase a new Goyard product, you'll have to visit one of their worldwide boutiques. If you're interested in purchasing a pre-owned Goyard product, I recommend Fashionphile.
The Goyard St Louis GM tote measures 34cm x 20cm x 40cm and has a 19cm x 11cm" detachable leather pouch. To clarify, the pouch does detach, however the strap that attaches to the pouch stays attached to the shoulder straps. The shoulder strap has approximately an 21cm drop. Although its appearance is similar to leather, the Goyardine is made with natural coated cloth mixing linen and cotton, which creates the iconic canvas fabric.
FAQs about the Goyard St Louis GM Tote
- How do you keep it organized? I use this tote organizer in size XL which helps give the bag structure
- What’s the most versatile color? My personal choice was black & tan because it goes with most of my apparel. I also love the white!
- How do you care for your bag? I didn't do anything specific - read here for more care tips
- Does it hold its shape? So far, yes.
- Did you/can you monogram? I didn't monogram mine, but yes, you can. Read here for more details
- Does it close? If not, is that a problem? There is no top zipper but I actually prefer this because its easier to get in and out of. The Goyard Artois has a top zipper
- Can you fit your laptop in it? Yes, my 16" laptop fits with plenty of room.
- Weight capacity? I don't know the exact weight capacity, but the heavier it gets, the less comfortable the shoulder straps become
Goyard Saint Louis GM vs. Anjou GM
Recently Goyard introduced the Anjou GM tote which is a nod to the classic Saint Louis GM tote. The main difference (besides price) between the two bags is the fact that the Goyard Anjou GM tote is reversible! One side of the tote is the classic Goyard logo print while the other side is a solid color leather. Honestly had this been an option when I was looking to purchase my Goyard tote years ago, I would have purchased. I love that the extra leather gives the bag more structure, there are leather seam details down the sides, and the option to switch between logo or solid is really the big seller in my opinion. My friend has the Anjou so you can see the visual difference in the images. Will I purchase the Anjou? Maybe in a fun color or classic black; what color would you pick?
- Goyard Saint Louis GM 34cm x 20cm x 40cm, 350g in Chevroches calfskin and Goyardine Canvas
- Goyard Anjou GM: 34cm x 20cm x 40cm, 700g in Chevroches calfskin and Goyardine Canvas
* The Goyard site does state that the Saint Louis GM is reversible, however, I don't believe that was ever the original intention of the tote. I've personally never seen anyone carry this tote with the canvas on the exterior.
My Review of the Goyard St Louis GM Tote
Now that I've had the tote for many years, it's definitely seen is fair share of use. While it isn't my "everyday" bag, I do use it about 2-3 times a week for work as well as every time I travel (for a few months it was even my gym bag). It honestly still looks brand new, except for the pen ink stain on the interior - oops. The straps don't show any signs of wear or cracking and the canvas is still in excellent condition.
Day-to-day I carry my 16" laptop, the tote organizer which helps to give it structure, these organizer pouches, phone, wallet, keys, sunglasses, and maybe a few other small items. There is more than enough room. When traveling I'll carry the same items, as well as a small handbag, my headphones, a book, and water bottle. Again there is plenty of room. It's almost like my Mary Poppins bag!
A lot of you guys asked why I chose the Goyard Tote over the Louis Vuitton Neverfull (MM or GM), and honestly it was just personal preference. Louis Vuitton makes beautiful products which I love, but I was more attracted to the Goyard tote at the end of the day. If you're deciding between the two brands, you honestly can't go wrong. I haven't reviewed the LV Neverfull, so I can't compare the Goyard tote to Louis Vuitton tote. Below I'm sharing my pros & cons about the Goyardine St Louis GM Tote.
- Pros: durable, classic, holds a ton, less expensive than the Louis Vuitton Neverfull MM and GM
- Cons: still costly, straps aren't comfortable when bag is heavy
Would I buy the tote again? Yes! As someone who doesn't take the best care of my handbags (I'm a little lazy), this bag seriously still looks brand new! Quality will always win in my book. Let me know in the comments below if you still have more questions.